“Isn't it odd how much fatter a book gets when you've read it several times?" Mo had said..."As if something were left between the pages every time you read it. Feelings, thoughts, sounds, smells...and then, when you look at the book again many years later, you find yourself there, too, a slightly younger self, slightly different, as if the book had preserved you like a pressed flower...both strange and familiar.”

Cornelia Funke, Inkspell

Monday, May 19, 2014

Monday Musings! #43—Word of the Day


Today’s Monday Musings is my word of the day. The word for today is quite interesting, at least in my opinion.

WORD OF THE DAY:

Ophelian (o-FEE-lee-uhn)

MEANING:

Adjective: Displaying madness, suicidal tendencies, and similar characteristics.

ETYMOLOGY:

Taken from Ophelia, a character in Shakespeare’s Hamlet, who is driven to insanity and kills herself.

Earliest documented use of this word was in 1903.

What do I find so interesting about this word? What a way to tell someone that they are a bit mad!

“Mark really needs to stop acting so Ophelian or he will lose all his creditability with the committee.”


I hope you have lots of fun with this word! Happy reading!

1 comment:

  1. I learned another new word today. You'd think I remember this one, but I don't.

    Have a fabulous day. ☺

    ReplyDelete

While your comments are appreciated, I must ask that you do not nominate me for any awards. Happy reading and have an awesome day!