“Isn't it odd how much fatter a book gets when you've read it several times?" Mo had said..."As if something were left between the pages every time you read it. Feelings, thoughts, sounds, smells...and then, when you look at the book again many years later, you find yourself there, too, a slightly younger self, slightly different, as if the book had preserved you like a pressed flower...both strange and familiar.”

Cornelia Funke, Inkspell

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

New Year’s Resolution 2014!

I know that I did not do a Monday Musings post yesterday, I wanted to wait until today and do a year end post here instead.


New Year’s Resolution 2014!

2013 Comes To a Close

As 2013 comes to a close and we are fast looking at starting a new year it is once again time to make our new year’s resolutions. I dread this part of the beginning of a new year; the time I look at what it is about me that I would like to change. This has been a bad year for me and my family because we suffered the loss of my mother. When I think about that it seems to me that maybe one of my new year’s resolutions should be:  finding something that will bring happiness back into my life.

What Generally Happens To My New Year’s Resolutions?

How do you feel about making a new year’s resolution? I have for a number of year’s not even bothered to make one. Here is what generally happens when I make a new year’s resolution:

  1. I am good for a day or two, possibly even for a week and then…
  2. My willpower gets lost somewhere…
  3. Once the willpower goes the resolve to accomplish my goal is also lost.



I suppose that this year could be different if I decide what it is I truly want and make a determination on how I can best accomplish this goal. By accomplish I mean how I can carry my new year’s resolution 2014 throughout the whole year.

In looking at the desire to bring happiness back into my life how could I go about this and make it a resolution I can maintain? First of all I need to know and be specific about what it is that will make me happy. For instance, I feel as though my hubby and I do not spend enough quality time together so in order to change this I need to resolve to find ways that we can spend quality time together once a week. How can we do this?

My 2014 New Year’s Resolution

I resolve to institute a couples night once a week. On couples night we can go out to dinner or we can stay in and have a games night. I am sure that this will go a long way in bringing back some happiness into my life.

No Harm in Revisiting a Resolution

Once a new year’s resolution is stated there is no harm in looking back at it later and changing it around a bit so that one can successfully accomplish ones new year’s resolution. In my example above for couple’s night, if it seems to be too much to go out every week for dinner we can change it to going out every other week and then we will still be spending quality time together at least once every other week. We can do a games night every other week and do a couples night out every other week we would then be doing something together once a week. The idea behind my 2014 new year’s resolution to try to bring back some happiness into my life and spending quality time with my hubby will go a long way to accomplishing that goal.

Final Thought


I just wanted to add one other thing here as well. This is just one New Year’s resolution; I could make other resolutions as well if I decide that there are other ways I can bring happiness back into my life. The idea for me here is to start small and work my way up. So today I may need to spend some time deciding how else I can bring happiness back into my life and create at least one more resolution for me to follow.

How about you? Have you made your 2014 New Year’s Resolution yet? To all my readers this past year, Happy New Year!


1 comment:

  1. I've not done New Years resolutions in years and years. I never succeeded and figured why set yourself up to fail. So, no resolutions. I think we need to do doable resolutions rather than such difficult ones. Fun things instead of life changing things.

    Have a fabulous day and a happy, healthy, and prosperous New Year. :)

    ReplyDelete

While your comments are appreciated, I must ask that you do not nominate me for any awards. Happy reading and have an awesome day!